+ Saint Giles Church, Langford
Thursday 22nd of June 2017
Picture: A Statue of Saint Giles.

A tour of the Church.

The Altar and Reredos.

Picture: The Altar and Reredos of St. Giles' Church, Langford

The oak altar and the painted and gilded/carved oak Reredos in the Sanctuary were made in 1928 and designed by the architect Gerald Cogswell. The Reredos was a gift to the church by Miss Baker in memory of her sister, Miss Jeanie Baker, who was a devoted member of St. Giles for many years. It was dedicated on Saturday October 6th 1928 by the Lord Bishop of Barking. The oak panelling behind was erected by Brian Saunders of Coggeshall and is dedicated to the memory of Mary Rosalind Pye. It was dedicated by Rev. R.V. Seymour on October 11th 1953, together with the two sides altar curtains.

The Communion rail is of oak, and was presented by Mrs. Taylor and family in memory of her parents William and Natalie Wakelin, and dedicated by the Rector, Rev. A.N. Godsell, on October 18th 1965. Other furniture in the Chancel are two oak Sanctuary chairs and an oak Credence Table. The red Sanctuary carpet was given to the church in 1933.

The brass candelabra were given in memory of Colonel Skelton, who lived at Langford Hall, and who is buried in the churchyard. The candelabra are of wrought brass and hold 12 candles. It was made in Belgium.

There is a double Piscina in the southern Chancel wall between the altar rail and the choir stall with round dedims (drains) and shouldered head which are probably 13th Century.

Passing down again between the choir stalls, there is an alabaster oval memorial on the south wall of the Chancel over the choir pews which reads: "In this vault are deposited the remains of the Rev. Mr. William North, Rector of this Parish who having faithfully discharged his pastoral office more than 43 years died May 16 1767 aged 75 years. Also of his affectionate Sister Mrs. Mary North who died February 28th 1777 aged 68 years."

A small statue of St. Giles can be seen on the south wall by the pulpit on a wood-vaulted concrete shelf. This was given by Miss Katherine Louisa Hunt in 1947 in memory of Sergeant Robin Moore, an Observer in the RAF, who was killed on operations on April 7th 1940. The inscription reads: "R.J. Moore RAF 7 April 1940".