+ Saint Giles Church, Langford
Sunday 21st of July 2019
Picture: A Statue of Saint Giles.

A tour of the Church.

The Nave.

The Nave is 41 feet long by 16 feet wide (including the north arcade of two bays), and has a seating capacity of about 90 people. The Nave and Organ Chamber roofs are similar to the chancel, but they are boarded in six cants, and the Organ Chamber roof has chamfered wall plates. With the restoration of 1881-82, the box pews in the Nave were removed and the pews that we see today were installed.

Picture: A view along the body of the church showing Choir Stalls, Pews, a Stone Pulpit and a Stone Font.

In the south wall are two modern windows:
The first depicts Christ blessing little children and is by the workshop of Charles Eamer Kempe, a famous stained glass man. It is dedicated to William Bingham Ashton Wynyard (1863-1915) and was installed in 1918.
The second is of the Risen Christ appearing to Mary Magdalene and was given in affectionate memory of Mary Jane Byron who paid for the restoration of the church in 1881-82. A nice touch, often overlooked by the visitor, is the inclusion of a small yet beautifully detailed picture of the restored church in the hands of an angel in the uppermost part of the window.

Picture: Stained glass window, Christ blessing little children.  Picture: Stained glass window, Christ appearing to Mary Magdalene.

It is interesting to note that Henry Laver FSA said that the Rector of St. Giles (the Rev. F.C. Byron, 1890-1914) told him that before restoration, the south side of the church had been occupied by an immense pew. It was built outside the church in a great bow and, he thought, had been erected about the middle of the 18th Century. An English Heritage staff member who was later questioned on this when visiting the church, suggested that it might have been a triple-decker pulpit!