+ Saint Giles Church, Langford
Sunday 21st of July 2019
Picture: A Statue of Saint Giles.

A tour of the Church.

The South Porch.

Picture: The South Porch of St. Giles' Church, Langford

The oak porch was added when the church was restored in 1882, and the original tower was removed (see the photograph inside the church). The clock on the outside of the porch was installed in 1947 and dedicated to the memory of Sydney Graham Pye; this dedication is inscribed on a wooden tablet on the right hand side in the porch itself. The clock is electronically operated and the mechanism, by Gillet and Johnson, is mounted in a compartment at high level in the porch - the operating instructions are dated 1946. The original 20 inch clock bell was also made by Gillet and Johnson c. 1947 but this was stolen during restoration work on the Western Apse in 2003. This has been replaced with another bell, tuned to 'A' founded in Whitechapel the same year.

You enter the church through the south doorway (c. 1100) which has plain jambs, a round arch (which splays upward, as is one of the signs of a very early building), and chamfered imposts. Sadly the original south door disappeared in the Victorian renovation work.